The ACT government has issued an urgent deadly disease warning for attendees of the Spilt Milk Festival in Canberra.
The ACT government has issued an urgent deadly disease warning for people who attended the Spilt Milk Festival in Canberra over the November 26th weekend. Latest reports state that at least one person has been hospitalised with symptoms of meningococcal disease.
With numerous others speculated to have been exposed to it, attendees are being advised to watch out for symptoms and go to a hospital immediately if they suspect they might have meningococcal disease.
Meningococcal is a bacterial disease which typically manifests as a rash or bruising on the skin. Other symptoms include sudden fever, nausea, irritability to bright light, headaches, stiffness in the neck, joint pain, and vomiting. Although uncommon, complications from meningococcal can be fatal or cause lifelong conditions.
In a statement, ACT Chief Health Office Dr. Kerryn Coleman said: “We are urging people who attended the Spilt Milk festival at Exhibition Park in Canberra on the weekend to be aware of the symptoms of meningococcal disease. One of the more well-known symptoms is a rash but this may not be present at all, or may come very late in the illness.”
The ACT state government is advising people between the ages of 15-25 and those with kids under the age of five to be particularly vigilant. “People can carry meningococcal bacteria in their throats and not have symptoms, but pass it on to close contacts. If you suspect symptoms of meningococcal disease, please seek medical review immediately”, said Dr Coleman in the statement.
The only reported case of meningococcal disease from the festival so far has been admitted to Canberra hospital. The ACT government is also working on tracking down and warning people who might have come in close contact with the patient.
Love Health & Wellness?
Get the latest Health & Wellness news, features, updates and giveaways straight to your inbox Learn more
For more on this topic, follow the Health & Wellness Observer.