Frozen meal manufacturer Core Powerfoods has issued a product recall for a number of its products after links to a widespread outbreak of salmonella.

The news, which broke last week, came after up to 51 people across the country had been reportedly struck down with the salmonella Weltevreden bug after being exposed to Core Powerfoods’ frozen meals.

The recall in question affects products with best before dates from March 5th, 2020 to October 4th, 2020, and includes the Going Nuts, Deep South Chilli, Muay Thai Meatballs, Holy Meatballs, Naked Chicken, Seismic Chicken, Old School, and Smokey Mountain Meatballs varieties in either 310g or 350g sizes.

“We apologise for any inconvenience or distress caused,” explained Core Powerfoods director Jake Richardson. “Our first priority is the health of our customers.

“As soon as we were informed of a potential link with our product we have acted immediately to conduct a full, company-initiated recall.

“We are assisting authorities as they attempt to confirm the source of this outbreak and have placed a temporary halt on production.”

Mark Booth, CEO of Food Standards Australia New Zealand, explained that any person who has purchased any of the affected meals should seek a full refund, or throw them away.

“Salmonella bacteria can pose serious health risks,” Mr Booth explained. “Symptoms of infection can include fever, diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches, stomach cramps and loss of appetite.

“More severe symptoms can occur in young children, older people, pregnant women and people who have weakened immune systems, and may lead to hospitalisation.

“Food must be cooked thoroughly to kill Salmonella bacteria. Frozen food should always be cooked thoroughly following manufacturer instructions,” he added. “Microwaves are a quick and convenient way to cook food, however, if they are not used correctly, they can cook food unevenly.”

The products in question have been available at Coles and IGA supermarkets nationally, including a number of independent retailers around the country, and a small number of Woolworths metro stores in VIC.

Anyone who suspects they may have consumed one of the affected products is urged to seek medical advice from their doctor.