Kyoto Animation, better known as KyoAni, has been subject to an arson attack. The fire swept through the animation studio on Thursday, killing at least 33 people and injuring many more.

The arsonist was seen shouting “die” as he doused the building with petrol and lit it on fire.

KyoAni is behind some animations such as Violet Evergarden, K-On!, A Silent Voice and plenty other anime series and films.

This fire comes as a shock to residents and has injured at least thirty-six individuals. This is Japan’s deadliest fire in almost two decades.

From anime fans to internet personalities and even prime minister Shinzo Abe, many have expressed their shock, disbelief, and anger. Taking to social media to pray for the victims and mourn, a gofundme has been started by licensing company Sentai Filmworks to #HelpKyoAniHeal.

Donations can be made here to support those affected by the attack.

This tragic event has found widespread international support, with over $1 million being donated in just a day and sending #HelpKyoaniHeal and #Kyoanistrong into the most trending topics on Twitter.

The suspect is a 41-year-old-man who has no official ties to the company.

Recently chief executive Hideaki Hatta said the company had been targeted by death threats via email. He said:

“I am heartbroken. It is unbearable that the people who helped carry Japan’s animation industry were hurt and lost their lives in this way.”

Watch the trailer for one of KyoAni’s projects, ‘A Silent Voice’

The motives for such an attack are still in question. Japan as a whole does not see much major crime, and such a devastating event marks a sad day for residents of Japan and fans of KyoAni alike.

The situation is still developing with many who are still in critical conditions and facing injuries.

Our thoughts are with the families of those who were affected by the attack.

Get unlimited access to the coverage that shapes our culture.
to Rolling Stone magazine
to Rolling Stone magazine