The parents of a two-year-old Perth girl have discussed their horror after their child was found sucking on a discarded condom left in the dining area of a McDonald’s restaurant.

As 10 Daily reports, the family was visiting a Warnbro McDonald’s on Friday night when the two-year-old girl discovered an unopened black condom in the restaurant’s dining area.

“I went back up to the counter to order something and my daughter was with my husband, I don’t know how it happened but when my husband next looks at her, she’s sucking on a black condom,” explained the toddler’s mother, identified only as Wendy.

After alerting staff, the parents took their child to the bathroom to wash both her mouth and hands, before rushing her to a nearby emergency room. However, the parents claimed that when they returned to get the condom back from the restaurant for testing, they were reportedly met with resistance from staff members.

“I am really angry and sickened … I haven’t slept,” Wendy explained. “I have been feeling overwhelmingly guilty for taking her there in the first place.”

“When I got there, they refused to give us back the condom. I am disgusted how they treated me and my family. We just wanted to test it to see if our daughter is going to be okay.”

The child was reportedly given a blood test in order to check for the presence of any STDs, but at this stage, her parents face an agonising three-month wait before any results can be obtained.

Love Food & Drink?

Get the latest Food & Drink news, features, updates and giveaways straight to your inbox Learn more

McDonald’s later addressed the issue, apologising for the incident and promising to look into the reason behind it.

“We are very sorry that the incident occurred, and take situations like this seriously,” a spokesperson explained. “We are conducting an investigation into how this happened.”

“Cleanliness and safety are our top priorities and we ensure the Shift Manager on duty conducts what we refer to as a travel path every 30 minutes.”

This news seems to echo a recent case in Melbourne where a woman bought a coat from Target, only to find bloody tissues and bags of meth in the pocket.

Needless to say, it’s worth being extra vigilant when visiting any public areas in the future.